News & Events
Cast and Extruded Acrylic SheetsOct-24-2018
Acrylic sheets are manufactured by two different production processes, Cast and Extruded. The Acrylic polymers are synthetic materials which are formed by chemical reaction between a monomer and a catalyst. Acrylic is 50% lighter in weight as compared to glass and 10 times impact resistant, also gives better transparency. Acrylic is safer, cost effective and can be moulded in different shapes based on the requirement. It can be tinted, colored, mirrored and can be made opaque. Different Coatings can be applied on the sheet to improve the Scratch resistance, Glare reduction, Anti-fogging, and Solar reflective.
Cast acrylic, as the name suggests, is produced in casts or moulds with acrylic raw materials and chemicals (MMA and catalysts). The mould is made from 2 panes of clear float glass and silicone edging to create an air gap based on the thickness to be produced. Then PMMA (Poly Methyl Methacrylate) liquid is poured into the mound through a small gap. Based on the thickness, the correct weight of PMMA is poured in, so for a 2.8mm sheet in 1220x2440mm size, 9.9kg of material is poured in. The density of acrylic is 1.19kg/cm3, 9.9kg = 1.22×2.44×2.8×1.19.
The Casting process of making acrylic is more labour intensive, making it a longer process than Extruded acrylic sheets. It offers the best optical clarity, greater thermal stability and higher resistance when exposed to solvents. The versatility of the material, availability in wide range of colors, surfaces and ease of fabrication enable designers to come up with very creative ideas.
Extruded Acrylic sheets are produced by a continuous manufacturing process through a long machine called an Extruder, where acrylic PMMA pellets are first heated then pushed through barrels where the chemical process occurs. Extruded acrylic is heterogeneous, and its properties vary depending on the direction of extrusion. Extruded acrylic costs less than cast and its thickness is consistent across the sheet unlike cast sheets which have slightly variable thickness in a single sheet.
Acrylic sheets are used for displays, signage, furniture, structural glazing, light domes, caravan windows and many other applications. Acrylic sheets from reliable and well-known manufacturers maintain their optical properties for several years and are suitable for construction and signage industries.
The demand of Acrylic is driven by the growing demand for lightweight materials from the automotive, aerospace, construction, and furniture industries. With only a handful of raw material suppliers, and the growing demand in the market, the Acrylic Industry is facing price volatility. Even with the fluctuating price points in the market, we aim to bring the finest Acrylic sheets at the best price to our customers. Get in touch to know more about the broad range of standard and custom colors of Acrylics and its different applications.
- Extending our services to Kuwait
- Product Seminar on Premium German Solutions
- Digital Xerography & Offset Synthetic Paper in UAE
- AVERY DENNISON - Professional Workshop - Oman
- Rhine Graphics featured in Printweek MEA Feb-15-2015
- SGI 2015
- New Product Launch - SGI 2015
- Exclusive range of Digital Print Media products
- TESA 51966
- Machinery featured in Printweek MEA
- LED Linear Strips for Cove Lighting
- Blue Rhine & Intercoat in Printweek MEA
- Light Middle East 2013 Invitation
- Media Seminar
- Mustang Chrome
- Al Ghurair Printing & Publishing steps up and gets the reward
- Our Headquarter Reclocation
- Sign & Graphics - Dubai 2016 Jan-11-2016
- Blackman and White - Versa-Tech Flatbed Cutter Nov-01-2014
- Anand Joseph delivers Keynote at IMT Business School Dubai
- Blue Rhine at Big5 Dubai 2018
- Gitex Technology Week 2017 is upon us, Philips Video wall to shine at Etisalat booth
- Etisalat partners with Philips for stunning 4K Videowalls featured at Gitex Tech Week 2017
- DECO Emirates gets new machinery - Accurate fiber laser
- Anand Joseph featured in LG Business Solutions 'See the signs' 2017 Report
- Cast and Extruded Acrylic Sheets
- Oman Open house comes with surprises - 29,30th Oct '18
- SGI Dubai 2018 - The next step for Blue Rhine